Romano insists Gakpo to Tottenham is still ‘on’ as Ornstein drops bombshell Liverpool exit update
Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham Hotspur remain intent on signing Liverpool winger Cody Gakpo despite the imminent double £140m capture of Omar Marmoush and Savinho from Manchester City, with Fabrizio Romano and David Ornstein both sharing updates on the potential switch.
The Dutchman has been with Liverpool since a January 2023 move from PSV Eindhoven and has largely impressed in their colours, despite a noticeable slump last season.
With the Reds already signing Victor Munoz and doing all they can to try and add Bradley Barcola and Yankuba Minteh to their ranks before the window shuts, Gakpo’s future at Anfield has been called into question amid suggestions the Reds will be open to his sale in a bid to claw back some much-needed funds.
Gakpo, though, looks determined to stay. The winger has performed well in pre-season in a bid to catch Andoni Iraola’s eye, and the manager himself is open to keeping him should alternative moves fail to work out.
However, sources have confirmed that discussions have been held behind the scenes over a potential move to north London, and now Romano has provided a fresh update on Tottenham’s pursuit.
“Let me finish by telling you, don’t forget Cody Gakpo,” Romano told his YouTube channel. “Don’t forget Cody Gakpo, because Savinho is going to Tottenham today in London for medical tests and contract signing.
“Omar Marmoush is expected to go to Tottenham as a centre striker, and he’s a target that is going to probably happen in the next few days, as I told you.
“But I told you always, right winger, left winger, centre striker. This was what I told you about Tottenham.
“And for the left winger, the name remains Cody Gakpo.
“Tottenham are working on it. Tottenham are working on the player side. Player terms are not an issue.
“And then Tottenham remain absolutely on it, on the club side with Liverpool.
“So Gakpo, Liverpool could be over in the next few days if the total fee can be agreed. Watch out for that one until the end.”
Ornstein reveals Liverpool dilemma over Gakpo sale
Ornstein, meanwhile, has suggested the Reds remain torn over Gakpo’s possible sale and believes his sale will only come after being squeezed out by other arrivals.
“Liverpool are prioritising [Barcola], there’s no doubt about it. If they can get him from PSG, then I think we’ll see Gakpo leave,” he told TNT Sports on Saturday. “If they don’t get him in from PSG, I think they’ll happily keep Gakpo.
“[Andoni] Iraola really likes him. It’ll all come down to the fee with PSG, and the gap is too big at the moment.”
The Reds are also working on a deal for Minteh and, via a strong update on Saturday morning, now have real confidence that a deal is there to be done after learning Brighton’s likely asking price and having received a firm green light from the player.
“It definitely stands a chance, but if the numbers are not right for Liverpool, I hear that they have another option they’re weighing up and could pivot to if it doesn’t suit them with Minteh,” he said. “I’m not ruling it out, of course.
“Brighton know he’s a coveted talent, so they want in excess of £70 million with add-ons, and I’m not sure Liverpool will want to go quite that far, but I really like the look of this player, and I think he could go to a level we’ve not seen so far.
“The injury is a concern, but if you’re so convinced by the talent, you could probably take the risk.”
TNT Sports pundit Karen Carney, though, is not convinced that Minteh has the qualities to succeed Mohamed Salah on the right side of Liverpool’s attack.
“If you’re looking to replace [Mohamed] Salah, he isn’t going to be ready to jump into that mould,” Carney said. “He’s 22, young and extremely quick and explosive, certainly an Iraola type of player, but you question whether he’s fit and ready to go.
“Barcola is a very good player, still raw. I think he can be more clinical, but he’s won two Champions Leagues and is a French international, so I think he fits the bill.”