Man Utd get stunning Alejandro Balde boost as Barcelona star reaches new decision
Alejandro Balde has completed a U-turn on his Barcelona future and is now open to leaving for Manchester United this summer, according to a report.
Man Utd finally made progress in their pursuit of a third midfielder this week, agreeing a £70million deal with Brighton for Carlos Baleba. United are also trying to sign a new left-back, having identified the position as another key area that must be bolstered before the transfer deadline.
United chiefs are seriously concerned about Luke Shaw’s fitness given the fact the side will compete in both the Premier League and Champions League this season.
United have been told that they will not be able to sign top left-back target Lewis Hall from Newcastle, with INEOS identifying Barcelona’s Balde as an exciting alternative.
Fabrizio Romano said earlier on Saturday that Balde is happy at Barca and is not pushing to leave. However, according to Barca source Jijantes (as cited by Goal), there has been a ‘surprise twist’ as the full-back ‘now wants out of Barcelona’.
Balde ‘reached the decision after recent talks and the atmosphere he sensed inside the club.’
The Spaniard is worried that Joao Cancelo’s return to the Camp Nou could seriously impact his game time, and his agent, Jorge Mendes, is now actively working on a transfer.
Romano has stated that it is a ’50/50 situation’ whether Balde remains in Catalonia or joins United.
The journalist has confirmed that there was a ‘call this week’ between Mendes and United to discuss a possible deal.
“So the only way to see Balde leaving Barcelona between now and the end of the season is if it’s Barca telling Balde ‘okay, we need to sell you, we want to sell you.’ That’s the only way,” Romano added.
Man Utd informed on Alejandro Balde deal conditions – Romano
“Man Utd are informed on the conditions and as of today, they’ve not returned with any official bid.”
There are conflicting reports on Balde’s stance, as Romano insists the player wants to stay at Barca.
But it is not hard to see why Cancelo’s signing would unsettle the 22-year-old, as he is already facing competition from Gerard Martin.
United will reportedly need to offer Barca at least €50m (£43m) to agree a deal for Balde.
If Michael Carrick’s side miss out on him, then they could turn their attention to RB Leipzig captain David Raum or Racing Santander’s Jorge Salinas.
Meanwhile, United are already pursuing their next midfield addition after Baleba.