Connor Barron future decided as Rangers give midfielder permission to leave
Connor Barron has reportedly been told he can leave Rangers this summer, with fellow midfielder Lyall Cameron also understood to have been given permission to find a new club.
Barron's future at Ibrox has become increasingly uncertain despite the midfielder returning to the Rangers matchday squad for Thursday night's 1-1 draw with Jagiellonia Bialystok.
The result saw Rangers exit the Europa League 3-2 on aggregate, with Barron remaining an unused substitute, also remaining on the bench in the Premier Sports Cup win over St Mirren before playing only three minutes against Jablonec in the Conference League first leg this week, his first minutes under Derek McInnes.
Reports suggest Barron has now been informed he can move on before the transfer window closes, while Cameron is also understood to be available for a departure. The pair joining fellow Scotsman John Souttar on the exit list.
The developments raise further questions over the midfielders' respective futures under McInnes, particularly given Barron's recent return to contention and the circumstances surrounding his absence at the beginning of the campaign.
Barron fitness situation raised questions
Before Rangers' Premiership opener against Dundee United, McInnes suggested Barron was still some way from being ready to feature.
“Connor Barron's a wee bit behind,” McInnes said.
“He's only had seven or eight days of pre-season. Connor's had a little knee niggle. We didn't allow him to do the pre-season before we went to Spain.”
Barron subsequently missed the 1-1 draw at Tannadice, Rangers' first meeting with Jagiellonia and the 2-1 defeat to Hibernian at Ibrox.
He returned to the matchday squad for last Thursday's second leg but was not introduced despite Rangers needing a goal to overturn the first-leg deficit.
That would appear to differ from the public picture presented by McInnes regarding the midfielder's condition.
His return to the bench against Jagiellonia and his return to the pitch against Jablonec confirms that the fitness issue is no longer preventing him from being selected, but his continued lack of competitive minutes has instead placed greater focus on his position within McInnes' plans.
Barron's situation is particularly significant given the transfer interest he has attracted this summer.
The former Aberdeen midfielder has been monitored by Sevilla, Bologna and West Ham United, with Bologna previously making an offer and Sevilla registering their interest.
West Ham have also been considering other midfield options, including Hibernian's Josh Mulligan, while their interest in Barron could be further affected by their capture of former Celtic midfielder Arne Engels.
The Scotland international was an important member of Danny Rohl's Rangers squad, but his standing appears to have changed following the managerial change.
With Rangers now understood to have told him that he can move on, a departure could become increasingly likely if one of the clubs monitoring him converts its interest into a concrete proposal.
Lyall Cameron also available
Barron is not the only Rangers midfielder whose future is now in doubt. Lyall Cameron has also reportedly been told he can leave the club.
Cameron joined Rangers last summer after establishing himself at Dundee, but has never nailed down a first-team place.
He was signed on a pre-contract by Phillipe Clement, used sparingly during the short tenure of Russell Martin, despite a goal against Viktoria Plzen in the Champions’ League before being loaned out to Aberdeen by Rohl.
He returned to Ibrox this summer but has not featured under McInnes.
Rangers have signed three midfielders this summer in Cammy Devlin, Dan Neil and Vanja Dragojevic, while Nicolas Raskin, Tochi Chukwuani and Thelo Aasgaard have all been used ahead of the former Dons pair. Mohamed Diomande also played before his departure to Turkey.
It could also create opportunities for Rangers to reduce the size of the squad and potentially free up space and funds for further additions.
Rangers face midfield decisions
The situation leaves Rangers with an important decision to make over the coming weeks.
Barron remains a player with significant experience despite being only 23, including Scotland international experience.
Barron's reported availability is particularly notable because it comes after a period in which his fitness was publicly questioned, while his failure to get on the pitch for any meaningful minutes even after returning to the squad has provided further evidence that his issue may extend beyond simply regaining match fitness.
With both midfielders now understood to be permitted to leave, Rangers will have to assess whether suitable offers arrive before the transfer window closes.