Celtic handed major injury blow days after after Champions League win
Celtic now look set to be without a key player for a long period in an early-season injury blow. The Bhoys lost right-back Alistair Johnston to injury in the Kilmarnock clash a couple of weeks ago.
Johnston has been linked with a move away from Celtic this summer amid interest from Premier League side Everton. David Moyes had previously called Martin O'Neill to inform him of his interest in the Canadian international, who enjoyed an excellent end to last season and a World Cup that was just as good.
Celtic blocked the move, hoping to keep Johnston until their Champions League qualifiers, while Everton are also said to have falled a long way short of the Hoops' valuation. But in a cruel twist of fate, Johnston was never able to make it to the Champions League squad for the two games due to picking up an injury.
Johnston now ruled out for months
Celtic boss Martin O'Neill said on Wednesday night that Johnston would be undergoing a scan on Friday to find out the extent of his injury, and it has now been reported that the injury is a significant one.
SunSport report that Johnston is going to be out until at least November in what will be a big blow for him and Celtic. Johnston missed much of last season with a serious injury, so he will have been hoping to have a season of full fitness this time around, but that won't be the case.
The World Cup may not have helped, but it's also worth keeping in mind that Johnston did not play a lot of football last season.
Celtic likely to turn to Donovan
Celtic will now likely turn to young right-back Colby Donovan to replace Johnston, with the right-back having been excellent in the Champions League qualifier, and he also impressed in the cup last week
Donovan is a high-energy player who is able to properly replace Johnston's ability to get forward and keep things tight at the back. There has been talk of Celtic signing a replacement, but they also have Anthony Ralston to back-up Donovan on the right side.