LiveScore Daily: The latest football news in bite-sized chunks
LiveScore Daily is here to deliver all the big talking points from the world of football throughout the day. Keep refreshing this page for the latest stories in bite-sized chunks.
Rodgers not expecting reinforcements
Brendan Rodgers is not anticipating any new signings arriving at Leicester before the transfer window slams shut.
The Foxes are the only side in the Premier League not to add to their squad this summer and they squandered a two-goal lead when drawing 2-2 at home to Brentford yesterday.
Having recently spoken about the club’s need to sell players before they buy, the 49-year-old took the opportunity to reaffirm the situation in his post-match press conference.
Quizzed on whether fresh arrivals were likely, Rodgers said: "At this moment in time, I would say no
"That was the frustration for us, that with Harvey Barnes out, we didn't have a direct replacement.
"I would have loved to have signed Ademola [Lookman] who was great here last season and got over 10 goals and assists combined, but we weren't able to do that.
"Unfortunately, that means we then have to look at the squad and the team and try to adapt, and then put them out to be as best organised as they can be."
Leicester go to the Emirates next Saturday to take on Arsenal, who won their opening clash 2-0 at Crystal Palace.
Gerrard challenges Mings
Steven Gerrard says Tyrone Mings will only return to Aston Villa’s starting XI when he "looks me in the eye and shows that he’s ready to play".
England international Mings, 29, was left on the bench for the entirety of Villa’s disappointing 2-0 loss at Bournemouth on Saturday.
Gerrard opted to take the club captaincy from Mings and award it to midfielder John McGinn last month and the 42-year-old confessed the player’s reaction had played a part in his team selection.
He told local radio: "It's a little bit of that. He's also missed some training time with an injury and there's a niggle in the background as well.
"But when Tyrone is back at his best and looks me in the eye and shows that he's ready to play, he'll get opportunities.
"When I made the decision over the captaincy, I set him a challenge. We said to Tyrone, 'If you get back to your consistent best, you'll be back in the team'."
Fresh twist in De Jong contract saga
Barcelona have asked Frenkie de Jong to annul his current contract and revert back to his previous terms due to alleged criminality in his renewal proceedings.
A sensational report by the Athletic claims the 25-year-old was informed last month by his employers that there are grounds for legal action towards those involved in the 2020 negotiations.
The Catalonians have informed their Dutch midfielder that they wish to rescind the latest agreement — which saw De Jong sign a two-year extension at Camp Nou — and switch back to his 2019 contract instead.
The move comes as Barca desperately attempt to balance their books after a summer of excessive spending despite well-documented financial issues.
Both Manchester United and Chelsea are still keen to sign De Jong and the Spanish club will entertain a sale, though financial disputes are significantly complicating matters.
Meanwhile, club president Joan Laporta told reporters that the player wants to stay put after a 6-0 friendly win over Pumas UNAM last night.
Ten Hag: Eriksen will play deeper
Erik ten Hag confirmed he has no intention of playing Christian Eriksen as a false nine long term after Manchester United’s humbling loss to Brighton.
Danish star Eriksen, 30, started the 2-1 defeat playing as the Red Devils’ attacking focal point due to Anthony Martial’s injury and Cristiano Ronaldo’s lack of match fitness.
Yet Ten Hag switched things up on 53 minutes, bringing Ronaldo into the fray and allowing Eriksen to revert to his traditional playmaker role in central midfield.
United’s boss said: "We didn’t have a typical No9. I knew he [Eriksen] did it at Ajax, a long time ago — play as a striker.
"I think Christian Eriksen is the best in the midfield. It was also the idea [against Brighton] that he drops and gets in between the lines.
"It is clear to see in the second half we were better in midfield with Eriksen down and Ronaldo up. We created and Rashford had two good chances, it is a shame we did not score."
Leipzig close in on Werner return
RB Leipzig are expected to complete a deal to re-sign their former forward Timo Werner from Chelsea this week.
Werner, 26, arrived at Stamford Bridge for £45million two years ago but has largely failed to fire in English football.
Now, Leipzig are set to stump up just £25m to bring him back to the Bundesliga with the player desperate to play regular football.
Initially, it was thought a season-long loan with an option to buy would be the preferred route for all parties but talks over a permanent move have reportedly progressed quickly over the weekend.
Having netted 23 goals in 89 appearances for the Blues, Werner will be out to make sure of his place in Hansi Flick’s Germany squad ahead of November’s World Cup.