Fury vacates heavyweight belt after retirement announcement
Tyson Fury has vacated The Ring Magazine heavyweight belt following the announcement of his retirement.
The Gypsy King has not fought since successfully defending his belts against Dillian Whyte at Wembley in April, where he immediately expressed his intention to retire.
Speculation continued to persist that Fury would return to the ring, with the winner of Anthony Joshua's rematch against Oleksandr Usyk touted as the likely opponent.
On Friday, his 34th birthday, Fury again reiterated his desire to retire and has now vacated one of his heavyweight titles.
"The Ring Magazine championship has always been the holy grail of boxing. They've been fantastic with me and I've always carried that title with pride," he told The Ring Magazine.
"The greatest moment of my career was winning the world championship (by outpointing Wladimir Klitschko) back in 2015.
"There's the great comeback after that with the three [Deontay] Wilder fights. There's been a lot of great highlights in my career – even the Dillian Whyte fight in front of 94,000 at Wembley. It doesn't get much bigger than that. And I went out with a bang."
While it is not the first time that Fury has stated he would retire, he has not previously vacated any heavyweight belts and has made it clear he will not disappear entirely – hinting at a Hollywood appearance.
"It was fun while it lasted. I had a good 14-year career. I actually boxed for 20 years, from 14 to 34 years old," he said.
"I've enjoyed it. I've enjoyed the ups and the downs. My career was an Indian summer that just kept giving.
"I've done well out of boxing. The world is open to so many things now. I'm doing a Netflix documentary at the moment. I'm going to be recording an album soon. Who knows, you might even see me on the silver screen."
Fury still holds the WBC heavyweight title and it is not known whether he will vacate that belt following his announcement.