LiveScore Daily: Today's football news in bite-sized chunks
LiveScore Daily is here to deliver all the big talking points from the world of football throughout the day. Keep refreshing this page for the latest stories in bite-sized chunks.
Williamson makes Lionesses return
England have named the 26-player squad that will defend their Arnold Clark Cup title against South Korea, Italy and Belgium this month.
Captain Leah Williamson has returned to the Lionesses fold after injury kept her out of November’s 4-0 win over Japan and 1-1 draw with Norway.
Beth Mead is the big omission as she continues her recovery from an ACL injury, while youngster Jess Park keeps her place after scoring on her debut against the Japanese.
The second edition of the invitational cup will act as preparation for the Lionesses' bid for glory at the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand this summer.
Manager Sarina Wiegman said: "The first camp of the year is always important to set the right tone for what comes next, especially with such a big opportunity in the summer.
"We are only looking forward now and we have to stay humble and focused on working hard. We know the fans will be with us again and we can’t wait to see them at every stadium."
England, who were crowned European champions last July, won the inaugural tournament in 2022, drawing with Canada and Spain before beating Germany 3-1.
The Dutch boss added: "We had a positive experience with the Arnold Clark Cup last time.
"We had three tough matches with different challenges in each one, and we were able to learn a lot from our performances and work on many details which we are aiming to do again."
Allen calls time on Wales career
Wales stalwart Joe Allen has announced his retirement from international football.
The 32-year-old earned 75 caps for the Dragons, representing his country at Euro 2016 and Euro 2020 as well as last year’s World Cup in Qatar.
Allen’s decision comes as another blow to Welsh fans after former captain Gareth Bale hung up his boots last month.
A statement from the Swansea midfielder read: "Playing for Wales has been a great passion and love in my life, I have been extremely fortunate.
"I have shared this journey with incredible people — my family, team-mates, staff and fans have made it special and I’m hugely grateful to you all.
"Our nation’s support is inspiring, and it has given me immense pride to wear the shirt — [there are] so many unforgettable experiences.
"Unfortunately, time and injuries take their toll and so it’s time for me to make way for our next generation. The future of Welsh football is bright."
Time to shine
Phil Parkinson wants his Wrexham side to prove they belong at a higher level when they face Sheffield United in their FA Cup fourth round replay tonight.
The ambitious Welsh club are pushing for promotion from the National League and went toe-to-toe with the Championship outfit when they met last month.
Only a stoppage-time Blades equaliser denied the Red Dragons a famous victory at the Racecourse Ground and they now know a tie with Premier League giants Tottenham awaits the victor of tonight’s replay at Bramall Lane.
Parkinson, 55, said: "The cup is just a bonus, helping raise the profile of the club and players.
"I think a lot of players have shown they can live in that company and now the challenge is for them to show they have the consistency to do it not just in one-off games.
"It was a great first game. Obviously, we would have loved to have got through at the first time of asking but there is another chance for us. It’s a great opportunity to play at a terrific stadium and test ourselves again.
"The lads haven’t spoken about it but it is a great draw and we will do everything we can to try to get to that stage."
Chris Sutton has slammed Patrick Bamford following the striker's public criticism of former boss Jesse Marsch.
American coach Marsch, 49, was relieved of his duties on Monday in the wake of a 1-0 defeat at relegation rivals Nottingham Forest.
But before the axe was dropped, Whites No9 Bamford said the City Ground loss was "difficult" because Forest’s centre-backs "just had me to concentrate on" after being deployed as the sole centre forward.
On the comments, ex-Premier League hitman Sutton said: "Keep it in the confines of the dressing room if that's the way you feel.
"He's unburdening himself of any responsibility. I don't like that.
"He's not daft — he knows the implications that it will have. It will be taken as a criticism of the manager and his tactics.
"He's a joke for bringing that into the public domain."
Coombs extends City stay
Laura Coombs has signed a two-year contract that will keep her at Manchester City until 2025.
The midfielder, 32, joined City from Liverpool in the summer of 2019 and has scored 13 goals in 79 appearances.
She won the Women’s FA Cup in her first season in sky blue before playing a key role in their Continental Tyres League Cup victory in 2022.
Coombs said: "I’m really happy to get this sorted. I feel really settled and valued at Manchester City. We’ve got a great group here that’s so ambitious and so driven, and I’m very happy to continue to be a part of that.
"Anyone who comes to City knows that they’ll develop as a player — that was a big reason for me coming here initially and now extending my deal again. As long as I’m here, I know I will continue to do just that.
"When I go out on the pitch right now, I feel super confident, I know my role in the team, and [head coach] Gareth [Taylor] always pushes me to do more.
"Right now, this is probably the most consistent football of my career which is great, and I can’t wait to continue that in the years to come."
Former Newcastle winger Christian Atsu has been rescued from the rubble of a Turkish building following an earthquake in the country, his club’s vice president has revealed.
The 31-year-old Ghana international, now plying his trade with Super Lig side Hatayspor, was unaccounted for alongside sporting director Taner Savut in the aftermath of the disaster that has killed more than 4,000 people.
Club chief Mustafa Ozat said Atsu had been pulled from the wreckage but confirmed Savut was still in the collapsed building.
He told Turkish radio: "Christian Atsu was removed from the wreckage with injuries.
"Unfortunately, our sporting director Taner Savut is still under the rubble.
"Hatay was deeply affected. We are coming towards the end of the most dangerous hours."
Atsu made 121 appearances for Newcastle and also spent time at Everton and Bournemouth.
Chelsea hire All Black
Chelsea have hired no-nonsense All Blacks leadership coach Gilbert Enoka in a short-term consultancy role.
The 57-year-old was part of the coaching staff when New Zealand won the Rugby World Cup in 2011 and 2015, while he has also worked with the country’s cricket team.
The post at Stamford Bridge will be Enoka's first in football and his main assignment is set to be developing a team culture and integrating several arrivals into Graham Potter’s squad.
The ninth-placed Blues brought in eight new faces in the January transfer window at a cost of nearly £300million.
Mentality pleases Maloney
New Wigan manager Shaun Maloney praised the mentality of his team after they secured a 0-0 draw with promotion contenders Blackburn in his first game in charge.
Former Latics midfielder Maloney was chosen as Kolo Toure’s successor last month with the club bottom of the Championship after losing five of their last six prior to Monday's encounter.
Following the hard-earned draw at Ewood Park to kick off his reign, he said: "Parts of the first half were OK in possession. Second half, we had to defend and we did.
"It’s been a big part of the last seven to eight days since we came in. We have to make ourselves a lot harder to beat, so I’m really happy.
"First half, I liked the bravery in possession. Remember, I’m asking them to do things they haven’t done in a while really.
"If anything, I thought we could have been more aggressive when we’re attacking, but I think that will come. The biggest thing has to be the mentality not to get beat, to defend the box.
"I have to love the mentality of the group."