Transfer Talk: Reds ready to trigger Barca wonderkid Gavi's £42m clause
Liverpool are ready to firm up their interest in Barcelona wonderkid Gavi by triggering his reported £42million release clause.
Manager Xavi sees Gavi as one of the stars of Barca's future and wants to build his midfield around him in the coming years.
But Mundo Deportivo say Liverpool will swoop this summer and give Gavi a decision to make.
A sensational breakthrough season for the 17-year-old has seen him nail down a regular first-team place with the Blaugrana as well as claiming his first caps for Spain.
And he further enhanced his reputation by scoring a fine header in an impressive 4-2 victory for Barca over champions Atletico Madrid on Sunday.
The midfielder has just 18 months remaining on his contract at the Camp Nou, with club chiefs desperate to tie him down to a new deal.
And with Barca struggling financially, they appear unlikely to be able to match the contract terms the Reds are set to propose.
It is said that Liverpool will hand the teenager a deal worth £3m per year — double what El Nacional claim is on the table from Barca — as well as an £8m signing-on fee.
Gavi has previously admitted his desire to remain in Catalonia but his loyalty could well be tested by an attractive Premier League offer.
Securing new deals for players has proved a challenge of late for Barca, with Ousmane Dembele looking likely to depart for free this summer and efforts to tie down Ronald Araujo also not completed.
In other news
Arsenal have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Christopher Nkunku, with the RB Leipzig forward set to stay with the Bundesliga outfit for at least another season.
Sky Sports Germany report that club director Oliver Mintzlaff is desperate to keep the sought-after 24-year-old, who has scored 18 goals in 30 appearances in all competitions this term.
West Ham manager David Moyes has insisted Declan Rice is worth even more than £100m, as Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City prepare for a summer battle over the midfielder.
Sky Sports say that the Hammers boss is not giving up hope of keeping the 23-year-old, who he described as a "future England captain" in a recent press conference.
Former Chelsea striker Diego Costa has agreed to join Fenerbahce before the Turkish transfer window closes today, according to domestic outlet Ajansspor.
The 33-year-old free agent is also said to have offers from Russian clubs Zenit Saint Petersburg and Krasnodar.