open menulivescore

Man Utd 2-0 Bristol City: Naalsund double downs Robins
Copy icon

Eleanor Crooks
Press Association
Lisa Naalsund was at the double for Manchester United
Lisa Naalsund was at the double for Manchester United

Lisa Naalsund's first two Women's Super League goals earned Manchester United a 2-0 victory over bottom side Bristol City.

The Norwegian scored in the ninth minute at Leigh Sports Village but the hosts huffed and puffed thereafter and almost conceded when Shania Hayles struck a post in the second half.

They were helped when Jamie-Lee Napier was sent off with nine minutes to go and Naalsund grabbed a stoppage-time second from a corner as United secured their first league win since early last month.

United boss Marc Skinner has taken time off this week awaiting the birth of his second child but was on the touchline and selected an unchanged team from last weekend's FA Cup win over Brighton.

United immediately took control of proceedings and found the breakthrough inside 10 minutes, with Lucia Garcia laying the ball off to Naalsund, who drove towards the edge of the box before sending a firm shot inside the post.

The hosts had the vast majority of possession and territory for the rest of the half but struggled to create anything of note, with City defending strongly.

They offered glimpses of a threat on the break, particularly through the speedy Ffion Morgan.

Millie Turner had to be alert to halt a break while Brooke Aspin headed over from a corner after a good run down the right from Morgan.

There was a greater urgency about United after half-time and they nearly grabbed a quick second via an own goal but Aspin was relieved to see the ball roll just past the post after pressure from Naalsund and Nikita Parris.

The Robins then created their best chance when Morgan again sped away down the right and crossed for Amalie Thestrup to flick the ball into the path of Hayles, who volleyed against the post.

Both managers turned to their benches, with Skinner sending on Brazilian forward Geyse, while Ella Powell looked furious to be taken off for the returning Abi Harrison for the visitors.

Defender Maya Le Tissier burst through the City defence on a solo run but was unable to get a shot away, while Garcia curled an effort just past the angle of post and bar as United continued their search for a second goal.

They had a numerical advantage for the final nine minutes after Napier, who was booked early on, was shown a second yellow card for a crunching challenge on Geyse.

And Naalsund finally put the game to bed deep into added time.


Women's Super LeagueManchester United WomenBristol City WFC
LiveScore logo

LiveScore: Live Sport Updates

Footbal Scores & Sports News

App storeGoogle play