open menulivescore

Manchester United 1-2 Liverpool: Hinds nets winner for Reds
Copy icon

PA Sport staff
Press Association
Liverpool celebrate Taylor Hinds’ goal (Martin Rickett/PA)
Liverpool celebrate Taylor Hinds’ goal (Martin Rickett/PA)

Liverpool recorded their first Women’s Super League victory over Manchester United as Matt Beard’s side came from behind to triumph 2-1 at Leigh Sports Village.

Reds skipper Taylor Hinds notched the winner in the 68th minute after Ella Toone’s early opener had been cancelled out by a Millie Turner own goal just past the half-hour mark.

Liverpool – who had lost all three of their previous WSL meetings with United, conceding nine goals and scoring none – move level with Marc Skinner’s team on 18 points from 10 games as their impressive campaign continues.

For United, it is another blow to their title aspirations after suffering their first loss of the season against Manchester City at Old Trafford last month.

United made the best possible start as they grabbed the lead three minutes in, Leah Galton seeing a shot come back off the post and then delivering the loose ball to Toone, who slotted in for her third club goal of the season.

Moments later Melvine Malard looked certain to make it 2-0 as she intercepted Gemma Bonner’s attempted back pass and rounded goalkeeper Teagan Micah, only to send her shot into the side-netting.

Further United pressure included Toone heading wide and Malard shooting off-target before Turner headed against the Liverpool bar in the 27th minute.

There was then misfortune at the other end for Turner as the ball went off the defender into her own net, under pressure from Emma Koivisto, following a Mel Lawley cross to bring the score level.

Looking buoyed, Liverpool then brought a great save out of Mary Earps as she tipped Missy Bo Kearns’ header over the bar.

The opening stages of the second half saw Ceri Holland, in a good position, thwarted by a Turner block and Earps make a save to prevent Kearns scoring direct from the resulting corner.

Another corner then led to the visitors going in front as Hinds turned the ball in from substitute Marie Hobinger’s delivery.

Sophie Roman Haug headed wide of Earps’ goal soon after, and United substitute Geyse did likewise at the other end.

A collision of heads led to a lengthy period of treatment for a bloodied Bonner, with the defender subsequently coming off for Leanne Kiernan in the 87th minute, before Katie Zelem saw a shot saved by Micah.

Bonner’s injury contributed to there being 12 minutes of stoppage time, the final moments of which saw United almost gift Liverpool a third as Earps’ miscued kick bounced off Kiernan back to her, before the final whistle confirmed the landmark victory for Beard’s side.


Liverpool FC WomenManchester United WomenWomen's Super League
LiveScore logo

LiveScore: Live Sport Updates

Footbal Scores & Sports News

App storeGoogle play