open menulivescore

Liverpool 3-1 West Ham: Beard's side brush Hammers aside
Copy icon

PA Sport staff
Press Association
Leanne Kiernan scored the opening goal in a 3-1 win over West Ham
Leanne Kiernan scored the opening goal in a 3-1 win over West Ham

Liverpool recorded a third successive Women's Super League victory as they defeated West Ham 3-1 at Prenton Park.

Former Hammers ace Leanne Kiernan put the hosts in front in the 41st minute and substitute Missy Bo Kearns doubled the lead with a header five minutes into the second half.

Sophie Roman Haug netted with 17 minutes to go, with Riko Ueki's late reply a mere consolation, as Liverpool and former West Ham boss Matt Beard saw his fifth-placed side stay level on points with fourth-placed Manchester United, who won 2-0 at home against Bristol City.

Rehanne Skinner's West Ham remain six points better off than rock-bottom Bristol City in 11th with six games still to play.

A first half that had been somewhat uneventful came to life in the closing stages as Liverpool began to exert more pressure — first with Kiernan seeing a shot turned over the bar by Mackenzie Arnold.

After the Reds replaced the injured Sofie Lundgaard with Kearns, the resulting corner was headed over by Niamh Fahey before Kiernan shot wide.

Moments later, another Liverpool attack saw a collision take place between Ceri Holland, West Ham defender Amber Tysiak and Arnold and the ball ran to Kiernan for a simple finish.

Arnold required treatment, having her head bandaged, before Kirsty Smith shot wide and Vivianne Asseyi did the same on the follow-up after Liverpool gave the ball to Ueki in the box and her strike was parried by Rachael Laws.

Liverpool extended their lead early in the second half when Kearns headed home from Holland's delivery from the left.

Holland then turned and shot to bring a save out of Arnold and Asseyi was unable to hit the target from a good position as she fired over just past the hour mark.

The points looked secure for Beard's side when Fahey flicked on a cross and Haug was there at the back post to hook the ball home.

Liverpool might have further boosted their tally, with a Kearns shot dropping onto the roof of the net and fellow substitute Shanice van de Sanden being denied by Arnold, before a late error resulted in a goal for the visitors.

After Laws misjudged an attempted pass to Fahey, Ueki pounced to put the ball in the net.


Women's Super LeagueLiverpool FC WomenWest Ham United Women
LiveScore logo

LiveScore: Live Sport Updates

Footbal Scores & Sports News

App storeGoogle play