open menulivescore

Sheff Wed 2-1 Bristol City: Ugbo nets crucial brace
Copy icon

PA Sport staff
Press Association
Ike Ugbo’s brace lifted Sheffield Wednesday’s spirits (Nick Potts/PA)
Ike Ugbo’s brace lifted Sheffield Wednesday’s spirits (Nick Potts/PA)

An Ike Ugbo double in the first half was enough to give 10-man Sheffield Wednesday a huge 2-1 Sky Bet Championship victory over Bristol City at Hillsborough.

Two goals either side of a Jason Knight header gave the Owls another massively important three-point haul in their quest to stay in the league next season, despite Di’Shon Bernard being sent off in the second half.

Wednesday boss Danny Rohl made no changes to the XI who claimed a vital 2-0 win at fellow strugglers Millwall.

Bristol City manager Liam Manning made five switches to the team who lost 1-0 at home to QPR, with George Tanner, Cameron Pring, Taylor Gardner-Hickman, Mark Sykes and Tommy Conway coming in.

City had the first chance early on but goalkeeper James Beadle palmed Conway’s attempt away.

The home side took the lead in the 16th minute. Liam Palmer crossed in from the right and Ugbo finished smartly on the turn to give Wednesday the advantage.

The Robins responded well and had an equaliser after 25 minutes. Gardner-Hickman’s corner was met by skipper Knight and his header looped over Beadle to level proceedings.

Wednesday regained the lead in the 45th minute, as Ugbo was there again to get his fifth goal in four games. He nodded Marvin Johnson’s effort forwards to get his fifth goal in four games for the Owls.

Wednesday had a hatful of chances throughout the second half to get a third but could not take any of them.

Ian Poveda teed up Ugbo after some brilliant work on the left from Anthony Musaba but the striker fluffed his lines at the vital moment. Then the striker could only direct his header from close range following a corner over the bar.

Pol Valentin looked to get his first goal for the Owls but his drive from the right went just wide.

Meanwhile, the Robins brought on Harry Cornick, Nahki Wells and Andy King in an attempt to find an equaliser.

Referee Thomas Kirk sent off Bernard for a second bookable offence in the 78th minute to put the home side in for a tense finish.

Substitute Michael Smith had a huge chance to make the points safe but City keeper Max O’Leary came out on top.

Wednesday managed to hold on and now sit just three points from safety, with Bristol City remaining in 12th place.


ChampionshipBristol CitySheffield Wednesday
LiveScore logo

LiveScore: Live Sport Updates

Footbal Scores & Sports News

App storeGoogle play