Brook steps back from social media to avoid England negativity
Harry Brook says withdrawing from social media and avoiding recent negativity around England has proved hugely beneficial.
The 24-year-old batter played a key role in England's T20 World Cup triumph last November, before featuring in all five Ashes Tests this summer where he hit 363 runs at an average of 40.33.
However, Brook has found success harder to come by in the one-day international arena and was part of the England side which lost to West Indies last Sunday, the first match since their failed Cricket World Cup defence.
But the Yorkshireman showed promised with a well-made 71 in Antigua and insists the call to leave social media channels to his handlers has been the correct one for his career.
Brook told Sky Sports: "I've been off social media for a while now, anything I stumble across, I delete it from the phone.
"I haven't really seen any negativity, I think that's helped my game, helped my mental health to be off social media and seeing all the negativity that brings."
Earlier in the year, Brook sparked a social media frenzy after scoring a century for Sunrisers Hyderabad against Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League, taking aim at his critics post-match by saying: "I'm glad I could shut them up."
The England star admits it was a poor decision on his behalf, one he still regrets.
Brook added: "I was an idiot and I said that stupid thing in an interview which I regret a little bit.
"In India, you end up sitting in your hotel room, not much to do so I find myself just scrolling Instagram or Twitter and come across stuff you just don't want to see.
"I thought it was the right idea to get off it. I've obviously still got Instagram and Twitter but thankfully I've got someone running it for me."
Brook was recently released by Sunrisers but has entered himself into the 2024 IPL auction, potentially extending an already hectic schedule ahead of England's Test series against India in the new year.