Burkina Faso 1-3 Senegal: Mane nets as Lions of Teranga reach final
Senegal reached a second consecutive Africa Cup of Nations final as goals from Abdou Diallo, Idrissa Gueye and Sadio Mane secured a 3-1 win over Burkina Faso on Wednesday.
Aliou Cisse's side were denied a first AFCON title by Algeria back in 2019, but they will have another chance to get their hands on the trophy against either Cameroon or Egypt in Sunday's decider after edging their semi-final.
Senegal thought they had been awarded a penalty deep into first-half stoppage, but the VAR came to Burkina Faso's rescue with referee Bamlak Tessema Weyesa overturning his initial decision after replays showed Gueye's shot had hit Edmond Tapsoba's stomach and not his hand.
The Lions of Teranga deservedly broke the deadlock in the 70th minute, however, when Paris Saint-Germain defender Diallo spun on the six-yard box and fired a crisp strike past substitute goalkeeper Sofiane Ouedraogo.
And Senegal doubled their advantage six minutes later when Gueye slotted home from inside the penalty area after being teed up by Mane.
Ibrahim Toure pulled one back for Burkina Faso with an improvised finish with his knee in the 82nd minute, but Mane put the game to bed five minutes later with a sublime breakaway goal.
Key Opta Facts
– Senegal have reached their third Africa Cup of Nations final, the third in the 21st century (2002, 2019, 2021). Only Egypt have played in more over this period (four, before their semi-final on Thursday). The Lions of Teranga have become the first team to play in consecutive finals since Egypt in 2010 (three).
– Burkina Faso have been eliminated in three of their four semi-finals played at the African Cup of Nations (progressed in 2013). They have lost just their third knockout round match in the competition (out of 12 matches – W4 D5), after the 1998 edition semi-final (0-2 v Egypt) and the 2013 final (0-1 against Nigeria).
– Senegal have won each of their past 11 matches at the Africa Cup of Nations when opening the scoring. Their last defeat after scoring first came in the 2008 edition against Angola (1-3).
– Burkina Faso have found the back of the net in each of their past 13 matches at the Africa Cup of Nations. Only Egypt have managed a longer scoring streak in the history of the competition (netting in 27 consecutive matches between the 1957 and 1980 editions).
– Since his debut at the Africa Cup of Nations in 2015, Mane has been directly involved in more goals (11 – eight goals, three assists) than any other player. This was the first time he has both scored and assisted in a single AFCON game (17th appearance).