Transfer Talk: More twists in Kane saga as clock ticks on City move
As the summer transfer window enters its final fortnight, Harry Kane’s potential switch to Manchester City remains firmly in the balance.
The England captain played no part in Tottenham’s impressive opening win over his suitors last Sunday after being required to isolate following a post-Euro 2020 holiday in the Bahamas.
But The Guardian believe Kane, 28, will make his return in Thursday night’s Europa Conference League clash against Portuguese outfit Pacos de Ferreira — though the saga is far from resolved.
The Telegraph say Kane feels let down by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, who the forward believes has gone back on his word.
It is thought Levy assured the three-time Premier League Golden Boot winner he would be allowed to depart should the club underachieve in 2020-21, providing a suitable offer was made.
Given Spurs finished seventh and lost the Carabao Cup final, Kane expected to be allowed to move on and confirmed as much publicly in an interview with Gary Neville prior to Euro 2020.
Yet it now seems Levy has changed his mind — reportedly turning down a £125million bid from City as recently as last week and now opting to ignore phone calls from the club.
Despite being angered by the way the situation has panned out, the Daily Mail report Kane is still willing to give his all for Spurs while discussions rumble on.
He is particularly upset at poor club communication regarding his pre-agreed holiday, which led to widespread reports he had refused to join training.
Kane values his relationship with Spurs fans highly and is keen to get them back onside — regardless of how things eventually pan out.
An Ode to persistence for Gunners
Despite a deal looking dead in the water for most of the summer, it appears Arsenal are finally set to land Real Madrid midfielder Martin Odegaard on a permanent basis.
The Athletic report a deal is close, with the Gunners even hopeful of registering the Norwegian in time to face London rivals Chelsea on Sunday.
A bid of around £30m is thought to have convinced the cash-strapped LaLiga giants to part wayssell, with Los Blancos boss Carlo Ancelotti leaving the playmaker out of his squad for the weekend win over Alaves.
Touted as one of the game’s brightest talents when joining Madrid as a 17-year-old, Odegaard has endured a tough time at the Bernabeu.
Now 22, he will depart having made only eight league appearances for the club, who shipped him out on loan on four separate occasions.
The last of those moves was his five-month stint at the Emirates during 2020-21, where he dazzled Gunners fans with influential performances and netted twice in 20 appearances.
Odegaard was always open to a return after being taken in so warmly by the club last season and is set to sign a deal that runs until 2026.
In other news
Manchester United and Arsenal have been told to give up on their pursuit of England full-back Kieran Trippier by Atletico Madrid, say Spanish outlet AS.
The report claims Atleti would only sell if the 30-year-old’s release clause — thought to be set at over £50m — was met by a potential buyer.
Newcastle are looking to add depth to their squad with a loan move for Chelsea youngster Ethan Ampadu, according to the Northern Echo.
Ampadu, 20, spent the bulk of last term on loan at relegated Sheffield United and can operate in central defence or central midfield.
Watford winger Ismaila Sarr has supposedly told club officials he wishes to leave Vicarage Road amid interest from Liverpool.
The Express believe 23-year-old Sarr, who scored the Hornets’ second goal in their 3-2 win over Aston Villa last Saturday, is extremely keen on a move to Anfield and a deal could be struck.