Spain in chaos as World Cup winners refuse national team call-ups
World champions Spain have been plunged into further chaos after 15 World Cup winners refused call-ups.
The group were included in the squad for the Nations League games against Sweden and Switzerland despite saying they would boycott international duty.
A group of 81 players, including all 23 members of the World Cup squad, indicated three weeks ago that they would not play for Spain again while Luis Rubiales remained Spanish football federation president as a result of his behaviour at the final.
Rubiales caused a huge controversy after kissing midfielder Jenni Hermoso — who has been left out of the latest squad — on the lips during the medal ceremony following the team's 1-0 victory over England.
Hermoso insists she did not consent to the kiss.
Amid increasing pressure, Rubiales finally resigned from his post last week, but 39 players, including 21 World Cup winners, released a statement on Friday saying that was not enough to trigger their return to national-team duty.
The players said they were not yet "in a safe place" to return and that the problems at the Spanish football federation ran far deeper than Rubiales.
However, despite their pledge to boycott, many were still named in Monday's squad by new head coach Montse Tome, who said Hermoso had been left out for her own protection.
The players released a statement on Monday night which explained: "What was expressed in our statement makes clear and without any option for another interpretation our firm will not to be summoned for justified reasons.
"These statements are still fully valid."
Spain are due to face Sweden on Friday before returning home to host Switzerland on September 26.