Smith promises clarity on future, but LIV Golf rumours intensify
Cameron Smith has vowed he will come forward when he has any announcement to make on his future, although the world number two is reported to have already agreed to join the LIV Golf Invitational Series.
Smith is the Open champion and would represent another major coup for the breakaway golf league.
Fellow Australian Cameron Percy indicated Smith would be joining LIV Golf this week, telling RSN Radio that the 28-year-old and Marc Leishman were "gone".
Smith subsequently responded to these claims in a news conference ahead of the FedEx St. Jude Championship on Tuesday.
"My goal here is to win the FedEx Cup play-offs," he said. "That's all I'm here for.
"If there's something I need to say regarding the PGA Tour or LIV, it will come from Cameron Smith, not Cameron Percy.
"I'm a man of my word, and whenever you guys need to know anything, it will be said by me.
"Like I said, I'm here to play the FedEx Cup play-offs. That's been my focus the last week and a half, that's what I'm here to do. I'm here to win the FedEx Cup play-offs."
However, Wednesday brought an exclusive report from The Telegraph claiming Smith had signed a $100million-plus deal with LIV Golf.
The report says an initial offer of around $100m was made to Smith ahead of The Open, but he is set to be boosted by his new status as a major winner.
An announcement, The Telegraph said, would likely follow the FedEx Cup play-offs, with Smith second in the standings.