open menulivescore

Jenna Clark header lifts Liverpool above rivals Man Utd
Copy icon

PA Sport staff
Press Association
Jenna Clark scored for Liverpool as they beat Manchester United 1-0 (John Walton/PA)
Jenna Clark scored for Liverpool as they beat Manchester United 1-0 (John Walton/PA)

Jenna Clark’s goal was the difference as Liverpool beat Manchester United 1-0 in the Women’s Super League.

Victory lifted Liverpool above United into fourth in the table with one game to go for both sides.

Both goalkeepers were busy in the opening stages dealing with a flurry of chances but Liverpool had the better opportunities and Clark netted the winner on the stroke of half time.

United were straight out of the blocks with a chance in the opening minutes when Leah Galton was brilliantly played through the middle by Lisa Naalsund but Teagan Micah comfortably saved the midfielder’s tame effort.

Mary Earps was then called into action to save Taylor Hinds’ long-range shot at the near post and Liverpool were on the attack again when Ceri Holland’s dipping effort dropped onto the roof of the net.

Micah made another brilliant stop in the 15th minute as a United corner pinged around the box but the goalkeeper was able to keep out Millie Turner’s strike before Holland had another crack from distance brilliantly palmed away by Earps moments later.

Liverpool had a great opportunity to take the lead in the 19th minute when Mia Enderby flicked an awkward ball on to Emma Koivisto, who chased the loose ball down and nodded it onto the post before placing her follow-up effort wide.

Koivisto needed attention following a clash with the advertising hoardings and while the defender received treatment Reds boss Matt Beard was shown a red card.

Play resumed with Ella Toone blazing an effort over the bar before an excellent run by Enderby was cleared by Katie Zelem, who narrowly booted the ball past her own post.

Liverpool found the breakthrough in the third minute of stoppage time when Marie Hobinger crossed in from a short corner and Clark flicked the ball past Earps into the far corner.

The hosts continued to threaten after the break with United forced to clear a menacing Hobinger free-kick and Sophie Roman Haug’s teasing ball across the face of goal before a curling strike from Enderby whistled over the bar.

United’s first chance of the half fell to Zelem, who headed well wide of goal from a corner in the 63rd minute.

Liverpool remained in control and came close to doubling their lead in the 80th minute when Hinds crossed into Roman Haug, who headed over the bar before Earps saved Leanne Kiernan’s powerful strike.

Rachel Williams nearly struck in the final stages but her header was deflected wide and, after a mistake at the back, Roman Haug missed the chance to put the game to bed after firing into the side-netting.

United were denied at the death when Melvine Malard’s header was brilliantly saved by Micah.


Liverpool FC WomenManchester United Women
LiveScore logo

LiveScore: Live Sport Updates

Footbal Scores & Sports News

App storeGoogle play