LiveScore Daily: The latest football news in bite-sized chunks
LiveScore Daily is here to deliver all the big talking points from the world of football throughout the day. Keep refreshing this page for the latest stories in bite-sized chunks.
Trent out of England squad
Trent Alexander-Arnold has been left out of England’s squad for tonight’s clash with Germany — but Ivan Toney has made the cut.
The Liverpool right-back's World Cup hopes hang in the balance after he was an unused substitute in the 1-0 defeat to Italy on Friday night.
Last week, Southgate said: "Of course, he does have a fantastic range of passing, we’re blessed with different profiles of player in that position.
"If we play with wing-backs, Trippier and Reece James are also exceptional with the ball, in different ways, and we’re always having to look at the full package with everything and assess the players on all of their attributes."
Brentford striker Toney, 26, will hope to make his Three Lions debut at Wembley but Fikayo Tomori, James Ward-Prowse and Jarrod Bowen were all left out.
Jack Grealish is suspended after being booked at the San Siro and will sit out the final Group A3 clash.
Leboeuf: Trent's defending is Championship level
Frank Leboeuf has labelled Trent Alexander-Arnold’s defending "Championship level" after his difficult start to the campaign with Liverpool.
World Cup winner Lebouef hailed his offensive qualities but believes Jurgen Klopp’s system hides the 23-year-old’s deficiencies at the back.
The Frenchman believes Alexander-Arnold needs to work on the basics after he was left out of England’s squad to face Germany, putting his World Cup spot in doubt.
Lebouef, 54, said: "Look at Trent Alexander-Arnold. I love the guy, his offensive qualities. But defensively, he's Championship level.
"Only [Jurgen] Klopp's system works for him. When it doesn't work as well as it has this season, all you see is his defensive shortcomings.
“I want to take him with me to work on the basics. I would say to him: ‘Turn your head and look behind you, it will be better already’.”
Southgate: Contract no protection from sack
Gareth Southgate knows his long-term contract as England boss will mean nothing if the Three Lions flop in Qatar.
The 52-year-old is under pressure after the 1-0 defeat at Italy confirmed relegation from UEFA Nations League Group A3 with just one point and one goal from five games.
England face Germany at Wembley tonight in their final match before November’s World Cup and Southgate is fully aware that if the next three months do not go to plan, his deal being until 2024 will be irrelevant.
He said: "I know ultimately I will be judged on what happens at that World Cup.
"Contracts are irrelevant in football because managers can have three, four, five-year contracts and if results aren't good enough then you accept that's time to part ways.
"Why would I be any different? I'm not arrogant enough to think that having a contract should protect me in any way from results."
And Southgate admitted he is fascinated to be observing the much-storied relationship between the England manager and the press from his side.
He added: "I have been in football for 30 years. I have seen pretty much everything.
"I have seen the cycle of war with the media. I have seen the absolute love-in and we are somewhere in the middle of that — or maybe not quite in the middle.
"That is fascinating to observe from my side and it is a life experience I knew at some stage would probably come with this job."
Watford appoint Bilic
Watford have sacked head coach Rob Edwards after just 11 games in charge and quickly replaced him with Slaven Bilic.
Bilic, 54, has signed an 18-month deal at Vicarage Road and becomes their ninth manager since 2018 and their 17th in the past decade.
Despite chairman Scott Duxbury promising that the hiring and firing culture at the club was over in the summer, they have dispensed with Edwards, 39, with the Hornets sitting 10th in 14 points after 10 Championship games.
In a statement which has angered fans, increasingly unpopular owner Gino Pozzo claimed Watford had given the ex-Forest Green boss, who signed a two-year deal in May, plenty of time to stamp his mark on the side.
"As with all decisions taken by the board, I believe this change to be in the best interests of the club,” Pozzo said:
"We felt Rob had enough time to show us the identity of his team, however performances haven’t reflected our hopes and ambitions.
"Now we must move forward, and, in Slaven Bilic, we have secured the services of an experienced coach who has recent experience of promotion to the Premier League."
Bilic was most recently in charge of Beijing Guoan in China, while he spent 18 months in charge of West Brom and three years at West Ham.
His first game in charge sees the Hornets travel to Stoke on Sunday lunchtime in the Championship.
Sanllehi: Handing Arteta power is a mistake
Arsenal’s former head of football Raul Sanllehi believes the club have made a mistake handing so much power to Mikel Arteta.
Sanllehi believes the Gunners have gone back to the model they operated under when Arsene Wenger was in charge and had a handle on all goings on at the club.
The Spaniard tried to change that when Unai Emery was in charge but left after just two years at the club in August 2020, less than a year after Arteta's appointment.
Despite the fact the Gunners sit top of the Premier League, Sanllehi does not agree with their approach.
He told The Athletic: "Arsenal have betrayed the model I helped build. It is a mistake, but it is their mistake.
"In this model there are four points — head coach, sports director, operations manager and academy manager, and they must be well coordinated.
"I don't agree when clubs call their head coach a manager. Today the workload is overwhelming and you need the coach to concentrate on the first team.
"The head coach is oriented towards the short perspective — win the next game."
He added: "I would have not allowed that to happen. But that’s fine, it is working so far for them."