LiveScore Daily: Today’s football news in bite-sized chunks
LiveScore Daily is here to deliver all the big talking points from the world of football throughout the day. Keep refreshing this page for the latest stories in bite-sized chunks.
Gor to come
Eddie Howe believes Newcastle’s latest recruit Anthony Gordon can still take his game to another level.
The 21-year-old winger completed his Tyneside switch yesterday for an undisclosed fee, departing struggling Everton having been with the Merseyside outfit since the age of 11.
Though Gordon is cup tied for tomorrow’s Carabao Cup semi-final second leg against Southampton, his new boss is expecting him to make a quick impact at St James’ Park — even if he does have room for improvement.
Howe said: "He'll give us a lot. He is a young player with huge potential to have an impact on our season. He's very quick, versatile, can play off both sides.
"The best is yet to come from him, but he can add something different.
"We are getting someone who is fiercely determined, ambitious. He's got a nice balance between confidence and knowing there's things to improve in his game."
Eyeing a comeback
Southampton boss Nathan Jones has no doubts his side can turn their Carabao Cup semi-final with Newcastle on its head tomorrow night.
The Saints lost their home leg 1-0 at St Mary’s last week and now travel to Tyneside with a mountain to climb, though their 49-year-old boss is heading north in confident spirits.
Jones told his press conference: "With the greatest respect, 1-0 is an advantage but it can be a tricky advantage.
"If we can get the first goal then a lot of things can change, and a lot of things will change.
"The tie is open, the tie is still alive. We have to be the best version of ourselves. If that happens by 11pm, it might be a wonderful night."
Meanwhile, rumours had surfaced over the future of Che Adams, with the striker supposedly a deadline day target of fellow strugglers Everton.
Jones poured cold water on those reports however, saying: "Let’s be honest, that’s not going to happen."
No second chances
Manchester City cannot afford any more slip-ups in the Premier League title race according to Manuel Akanji.
Akanji, 27, has been a near ever-present in the Citizens’ backline this term and has impressed during a run of three straight wins in all competitions that have followed a tricky period.
And the Swiss international insists that the upcoming weeks will be crucial to City’s season.
Akanji said: "Every game is important, but in January and February there are a lot of games.
"The Champions League is coming back now, it’s another big competition and we can’t lose any games, we can’t drop points.
"We know that and that’s how we go into every game, to get the three points. I think we showed a great reaction in the games that we’ve had recently."
Gomes joins the pack
Wolves have made Flamengo midfielder Joao Gomes their latest January capture.
The men from Molineux have beaten Lyon to the signing of the highly-rated 21-year-old, who was in Brazil’s 55-man pre-list for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Gomes has penned a five-and-a-half year deal in the West Midlands and could make his debut for Julen Lopetegui’s side against Liverpool on Saturday.
Saint going nowhere
Eddie Howe is not expecting Allan Saint-Maximin to leave Newcastle before the January transfer window slams shut tomorrow evening.
The popular Frenchman, 25, has not started a league game for the Magpies since August, prompting speculation over a potential exit.
Yet Howe has categorically ruled out a move, claiming Saint-Maximin remains firmly in his long-term plans.
Quizzed on a possible transfer for his No10, the 45-year-old said: "Absolutely not. He’s here to stay. He’s an integral part of my team."
Newcastle midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is set to leave the club.
Nottingham Forest are closing in on a deal for the former Liverpool and Swansea midfielder, who has made over 200 appearances for the Toon since his 2016 arrival.
Six-cap England international Shelvey, 30, has not started a Premier League game this term and Eddie Howe confessed he will be sad to see him leave should a deal be struck.
He said: "Jonjo, I believe, is talking to Nottingham Forest. I don’t know what stage that is at currently.
"Jonjo has been a huge player for this football club over the last seven years. He’s been a very important part of my squad since I’ve been here. Unfortunately, he’s had injuries this season.
"Certainly I would not want to lose him, but I have to understand again, similar to the Chris Wood situation really, the player’s wishes with his contract coming to an end this summer."
England woe blunted Bowen
David Moyes believes West Ham forward Jarrod Bowen’s recent dip in form was linked to his failed bid to make England’s World Cup squad.
Bowen, 26, racked up 12 goals and 10 assists in the Premier League last term, with his fine performances seeing Gareth Southgate reward him with four caps for the Three Lions last summer.
However, the ex-Hull star did not make the cut for Qatar and has subsequently struggled, with only two goals in 19 top-flight outings prior to a crucial brace against Everton last time out.
Moyes, 59, is backing the winger to now put recent troubles behind him and get back to his best.
The Scot explained: "From the start of the season to November, he [Bowen] probably didn’t perform well enough in those six to eight weeks.
"He didn’t get goals. If he’d got three or four goals, he might have been the one going to the World Cup maybe more so than some others who popped in at the last minute.
"He was so disappointed with himself, gutted that he didn’t do that. I think it was hanging on him a little bit.
"So I’m hoping those goals have given him big confidence to go and show what he can do. He can score, he can create goals, he’s been a great buy for us and a really good team player."
Bowen will hope to be among the goals again when the Hammers travel to League One side Derby in the FA Cup this evening.