LiveScore Daily: Today's football news in bite-sized chunks
LiveScore Daily is here to deliver all the big talking points from the world of football throughout the day. Keep refreshing this page for the latest stories in bite-sized chunks.
England must Luke beyond Mbappe threat
Luke Shaw believes it would be "naive" of England to only focus on Kylian Mbappe when they face France in the World Cup quarter-finals on Saturday.
The Three Lions beat Senegal 3-0 to set up a showdown with the world champions, who saw off Poland 3-1 to reach the last eight.
Paris Saint-Germain forward Mbappe, 23, has been Les Bleus’ star of the show so far, netting his fourth and fifth goals of the tournament in emphatic style versus Poland.
But with the likes of Olivier Giroud — now France’s all-time top scorer — and Antoine Griezmann also thriving in Didier Deschamps’ team, Shaw insisted there are plenty of other threats for England to deal with.
The Manchester United left-back, 27, said: "Obviously after his performance [against Poland] there’s going to be even more chat about him but we know he’s a world-class player.
"I think it would be very naive of us to focus purely on him. They’re reigning world champions for a reason and we need to focus on them as a whole team.
"They have brilliant players over the whole pitch so we’re not going to fully focus on him, but it’s an amazing tie to be involved in and that’s why we’re here."
Bierhoff is off
Oliver Bierhoff has left his role as Germany’s technical director following their group-stage elimination at Qatar 2022.
The 2014 champions were sent packing before the knockout phase for the second consecutive World Cup as they were pipped by Japan and Spain to the top two spots in Group E.
Bierhoff, 54, has since agreed to terminate his contract that had been set to run until 2024.
DFB president Bernd Neuendorf said in a statement: "Oliver Bierhoff has been of incredible service to the DFB.
"Even though we have fallen short of expectations on the pitch in recent tournaments, he has been behind big moments.
"His work will forever be intertwined with our World Cup triumph in Brazil. Even in turbulent times, he always followed his goals and visions and has helped shape the DFB in a sustainable manner."
Eto’o filmed lashing out at supporter
Former Cameroon and Barcelona striker Samuel Eto’o has apologised after appearing to attack a man at the World Cup in Qatar on Monday night.
A viral video on social media shows the 41-year-old kneeing a man in the head outside Stadium 974 in Doha, which staged Brazil’s 4-1 last-16 victory over South Korea.
He has released a statement apologising for the altercation, though also suggesing he was "probably" a fan of Algeria, who Cameroon controversially beat in the qualifying play-off to reach the Qatar showpiece.
Eto'o wrote on social media: "After the Brazil-South Korea match, I had a violent altercation with a person who was probably an Algerian supporter.
"I would like to apologise for losing my temper and reacting in a way that does not match my personality. I apologise to the public for this unfortunate incident."
Algeria filed a complaint over the performance of the referee in the qualifying play-off in March, in which Cameroon's Karl Toko Ekambi scored the winner with the last kick of the game.
Initially appearing to be happy to pose for pictures with supporters outside the ground, Eto’o seemingly then reacted badly to something and had to be restrained from attacking a man.
He breaks away from those individuals and eventually strikes the man with his knee.
Eto'o added: "I pledge to continue to resist the relentless provocation and daily harassment of some Algerian supporters.
"Indeed, since the Cameroon-Algeria match on March 28 in Blida, I have been the target of insults and allegations of cheating without any evidence."
Eto’o is the president of Cameroon’s football federation (Fecafoot) and has been a global ambassador for Qatar’s World Cup organising committee since 2019.
Croatia braced for Selecao showdown
Croatia are ready to challenge "terrifying favourites" Brazil in their World Cup quarter-final showdown on Friday, says manager Zlatko Dalic.
Dalic's side booked their place in the last eight with a penalty shoot-out win over Japan on Monday following a 1-1 draw after extra-time.
Brazil, meanwhile, were at their scintillating best as they dispatched South Korea 4-1.
The 56-year-old said: "Brazil is the favourite, let's face it.
"Brazil is the most powerful and the best national team at the World Cup. What I've seen so far, when you take a look at their selection of players, their quality, skills and value, then it is indeed terrifying.
"I think we have a great exam ahead of us, a tough task against the team which plays great soccer with so many good quality and fast players."