Caicedo plea a 'mistake' but De Zerbi casts doubt over Brighton's stance
Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi cast doubt over the club's determination to not sell Moises Caicedo despite labelling the player's transfer plea a "mistake".
Reports earlier this week suggested Arsenal had a £60million bid for the Ecuador international rejected by Brighton.
Caicedo responded by announcing his desire to leave in a post on social media, calling it a "magnificent opportunity" without specifically mentioning Arsenal.
The 21-year-old has since been told to take time away from the club while there is uncertainty surrounding his future, meaning he was unavailable for Sunday's FA Cup clash with Liverpool.
It was ahead of Sunday's game when De Zerbi was asked about the latest on the Caicedo saga, and the Italian could not offer much certainty about him staying beyond the January transfer window.
"Moises is a good guy. We will see what happens [Monday] and the next day," he told ITV.
"We hope he stays with us until the end of the season, but this is a question of the club and Moises.
"In life you can make mistakes.
"There are many solutions for everyone and we will see the best solution for the club, for him and for us."
Arsenal are rumoured to have submitted a second bid worth up to £70m for the talented central midfielder, who joined Brighton in February 2021 for roughly £4.4m from Ecuador's Independiente del Valle.