Burnley vs Watford postponed for second time
Burnley’s request to postpone Tuesday night’s home game against Watford has been accepted by the Premier League.
Coronavirus and injuries continue to ravage the Clarets, who have now had five fixtures called off this season.
The two sides were originally due to meet last month but the game was cancelled just hours before kick-off due to a coronavirus outbreak in the Watford camp.
This time it is the Lancashire club who do not have a sufficient number of first-team players available — as was the case last Saturday when their match against Leicester was postponed.
Ahead of the rescheduled match being called off, Clarets boss Sean Dyche said: "We have worked really hard to get games on when we have been at a stretch and we have just gone too far below the threshold.
"We are at such a stretch at this moment in time and it is very difficult all round.
"So far at training today there were 10 recognised first-team players."
Bottom of the table after 17 games, Burnley are three points behind 17th-placed Watford.
Dyche's men have three games in hand on Newcastle, who sit above them, and four in hand on Norwich.
Confirming the latest postponement, the Premier League said: "Burnley's rearranged fixture against Watford at Turf Moor, due to be played at 7.30pm on Tuesday, has regrettably been postponed.
"The Premier League board accepted Burnley’s application with the club having fewer than the required number of players available for the match — 13 outfield players and one goalkeeper — due to ongoing Covid-19 cases, injuries and representation at the Africa Cup of Nations.
"This follows Burnley’s home game against Leicester on Saturday being called off.
"The league apologise for the inconvenience and disruption caused to supporters who would have attended or watched the game — we are fully aware that postponements disappoint clubs and fans."